Saturday, October 15, 2011

Chapter 7

1. Does objectivity still exist in the media's coverage of politics?  Of the major news outlets (CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC, NPR, NBC, etc.), which are the most objective and which seem to have the most bias?

I'm really unsure if objectivity still exists in the media's coverage of politics. I don't think any channels are openly biased, but I definitely think their reports tend to lean to the right or left. Even though I don't regularly watch the news, what little I've seen leads me to believe that CNN and MSNBC are more liberal news channels and FoxNews is a conservative news channel. I feel that other news channels that are somewhat smaller and less regularly watched are more inclined to be objective. News channels know who their audiences are and I think they tend to color their reports after what their audience would like most to hear.


2. How does talk radio (Rush Limbaugh, Air America, etc.) affect your view of politics?  Why?

I never listen to the radio at all, so talk radio has absolutely no affect on my political views at all. I don't know anyone else who listens to talk radio either. I suppose I'm just too young, and missed the radio frenzy. But I don't think even my grandparents listen to talk radio. So I'm not sure how talk radio really affects anyone's beliefs. I do hear jokes and things from both the left and right about Rush Limbaugh and other political talk radio hosts, so if anything I'd say people listen to talk radio to reaffirm beliefs they already hold rather than to learn more about politics.


3. Is media objectivity important?  Why or why not?

Media objectivity is definitely important. The job of the media is to inform the public on current events and issues, not decide what we believe. When the media presents a report that leans to either the right or left, I feel it is attempting to sway the public in that direction and that's not what they exist to do. Sometimes I feel that the media takes its power and position in society a little to far in that respect. They should only report objective news, rather than trying to sway people toward different beliefs.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree! Objectivity is so crucial. I think they let their opinions take control way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, i don't listen to talk radio either. your post is good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees the liberal and conservative bias in CNN and Fox News respectively. Good post.

    ReplyDelete