Friday, September 2, 2011

Chapter 1

1. Do you think Americans take the idea of democracy for granted?

I think Americans often do take democracy for granted. I work at a department store and one of people's favorite things to complain about is the government and how it only wants their money. We have more rights and freedoms here than a lot of other countries yet these people want to rant for ten minutes about their increased electric bill because of the "government monopoly" on everything. So, change it. Democracy is supposed to be about the people and their needs. We have a government ruled "by the people, for the people."  And if we believe our government to be corrupt, we have a duty to "overthrow it," not necessarily by physical force but by allowing our voices and beliefs to be heard. If we truly disagree with something, we have the luxury of being able to change it, but there is a large percentage of people who don't even bother to vote.

2. Why is separation of powers so crucial?

Separation of powers is so important because it keeps our democracy intact. By employing a system of checks and balances, the powers among the three branches are kept equal. No one branch has more power than another, and each branch does a different job. This is crucial because it means that no one branch can stand on its own. Each is dependent upon the others. 

3.Political ideology: Which am I and why?

I really have no idea where I fall on a political scale. Whenever I watch the news or a political debate, I usually just walk away feeling confused. If I had to choose, I guess I would go with Moderate. Both the left and right wings have their good ideas and bad ideas. I fully support gay marriage, but not affirmative action. I believe in the right to bear arms, but I think we should be looking for alternate sources of energy. Neither liberals or conservatives are completely right or completely wrong. I'm hoping that this class will teach me more about politics and help me choose a political belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment